Blood Draw Permit
Blood Draw Permits Issued by the Utah Department of Health and Human Services
The Utah Department of Health and Human Services is allowed to issue blood draw permits to individuals who are not licensed as physicians, mid-level providers, nurses, paramedics, or Advanced EMTs. The purpose of the permit is to make sure individuals are well trained. Many times the permitted individuals are members of law enforcement services, or work along with law enforcement to get blood samples to check for alcohol or drug compliance.
The applications, application approval, and lists of permitted individuals are now managed by the Utah Department of Health and Human Service’s Office of Emergency Medical Services and Preparedness.
Rules governing the requirements may be found in Utah Administrative Code under R426-5. Past requirements for displaying a permit and specific sizes of permits are no longer in effect. But, you will still be required to show your permit on request.
We recommend all current permit holders who want to renew take action at least 3 months before their expiration date. (Permits are valid for three years.) Permit holder may print their permits from their individual account in the Emergency Medical System’s licensing system. If a permit holder moves, we require the new address be updated in the system within 15 days.
May Blood Draw Permits
To apply for a Blood Draw Permit please visit emslicense.utah.gov and follow these steps:
- Create an account on our license management site, unless you have or previously held a Utah EMT or paramedic license.
- Once your account is setup, login and click on the “Applications” tab found on the left- hand side of the page.
- Locate the “Blood Draw” application at the bottom of the page and click, “Apply Now.”
- Fill out the form with your information and click “Submit Application” at the bottom of the page.
- To pay for your Blood Draw Permit, select “Checkout” found under the “Applications” tab.
Contact the Office of EMS at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-273-6666 with questions.